It’s Okay

6 Apr

That I’ve only worked out twice this week.

That I ate fast food. Three times.

That I haven’t blogged since Tuesday.

That I worked from home, in my pajamas. Twice.

You see, this week has had some unexpected twists and turns. It started on Tuesday when I was working from home (in said pajamas), because Jordan was having a colonoscopy at the hospital in the afternoon, and I needed to be there to drive him. Though an unusual procedure for someone his age, it was supposed to be fairly simple and quick.

Little did we know…

It ended up being a little more.

The doctor was running an hour behind when we got there, which meant one hour more that Jordan had to wait to go in. He hadn’t eaten in nearly 24 hours, and I could see that he already looked pale (r than usual). When the nurse put the IV in his arm, his blood pressure dropped extremely quickly and his face was as white as a sheet. He was nervous, dehydrated and hungry — not a great combination. He looked so helpless, but the only thing I could do was read a few chapters of my book, and wait.

An hour later, he was wheeled back out, still stuck in a deep sleep. When it was time for him to wake up, the nurse had to shake him. A lot. It was then that I knew it might be a long night. For 30 minutes, the nurse and I tried to get him to wake up. When he finally opened his eyes, he kept asking me the same questions — over and over and over again. They say that it’s normal for patients to experience memory loss, but when it was time for him to get dressed and leave, things started to go downhill. He still wasn’t regaining his memory, and his skin had a strange yellow tint. Before I knew it, he was throwing up the little liquid he had left in his body, and the nurses were encouraging him to sit in wheelchair, while handing me Sprite, graham crackers and peanut butter to feed him. He was severely dehydrated, and having an allergic reaction to the anesthetic.

We arrived at the hospital at 3 p.m., and by the time we got home it was after 9 p.m. He was still moving very slowly and didn’t have his memory. I was worried, but trying to remain calm. This is where the first fast food stop came in. I needed to get some food in him, fast, so I thought that KFC mac and cheese would do the trick. His body thought otherwise and rejected it. After shedding a few tears and calling my mom for help, I made him some soup and put him to bed.

I was having my first real adult moment as a mommy wifey.

The next day, I worked from (Jordan’s) home so I could be there to take care of him. My mom brought me Taco Bell for lunch.

The dogs kept me company.

As the day progressed, Jordan got better. He doesn’t remember much from Tuesday night, but by the end of the day on Wednesday, he was feeling much more like himself.

He was also starving. Here’s where our third fast food stop came in. This time, Penn Station.

But it’s okay.

Some people can work a full-time job, take care of three kids, put a healthy, homemade dinner on the table, and still have time to blog three times a day. That person is not me. When Jordan needed me to care of him, my biggest concern was not whipping up a dinner from scratch, or exercising for 45 minutes, or blogging the whole experience in real time.

I just needed to be there. For him. And that’s perfectly okay :).

Have you ever had to take care of a loved one?

Have you ever put your healthy living habits aside for a couple of days?


14 Responses to “It’s Okay”

  1. notsodomesticated April 6, 2012 at 8:25 am #

    You gotta do what you gotta do! You kept your priorities in line, which is great. Taking care of your fiance is a lot more important than working out! 🙂

  2. Laura @ LauraLikesDesign April 6, 2012 at 9:25 am #

    Ah, this is scary! Did everything turn out okay with his colonoscopy?

    • Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 6, 2012 at 11:38 am #

      Yes, everything was normal so now they have to do some other tests to see if he might have celiac disease. Thank you for asking!

  3. fitandfuninthird April 6, 2012 at 10:05 am #

    I’m so sorry to hear you had such a tough week! Glad to hear that he’s feeling better though… that’s scary!

  4. ibrokemyumbrella April 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm #

    Watching someone you love in pain and not being able to do anything is the most terrifying and helpless feeling in the world. I think you handled the whole situation really maturely and well. I would have been yelling at the doctors probably. That’s a scary situation, and you definitely did the right thing.

  5. ittybitsofbalance April 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

    WOW! I’m so glad to hear that things are looking up a bit, but sorry that you had to go through that! I am with you 100% for nixing the blogging, girl. Life should always come first!

  6. Danica April 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

    It’s definitely okay that you did all of that–Jordan needed you and I think that sometimes the healthy thing to do in life is just to do what you have to do! Next week, if all goes well, you can jump back into your routine…Hope he continues to feel better!

  7. Brianna April 7, 2012 at 1:46 am #

    Wow, glad it all ended up okay. Seems kind of weird they would give him anesthetic before testing him for an allergy? Anyway, I say good choice of priorities. 🙂

  8. Hilary April 7, 2012 at 3:05 am #

    Your poor kids. I wonder where they plastic bubbles;) I would probably call mom crying too. Scary! I am glad he is okay now though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: