Today, Stephanie from Natural Beauty Mark is here to share her tips for finding your dream job — something that I am still learning to do, and I think you will enjoy her tips too! Thanks, Stephanie!
The hunt for your “dream job” after college can be a very daunting one. I know from experience, because it took me quite a while before I found a career that I am very happy with. My story is quite different than most, but I hope that my experiences will help to motivate and inspire you! There is no reason that just because you are young, you cannot land an awesome job that you will really enjoy!
Like I mentioned, my story is different than most. I went to college and studied what I was absolutely passionate about, which for me is Dance. I could not see myself spending countless hours learning and studying anything else. The thing I get asked most by people is ‘why?’ and my answer is always, ‘Why not?’. My reason for majoring in Dance, is definitely not because I thought I would become rich as a dancer. It was because, I knew that studying this would make my life richer, and it has. What I do now career wise, is a far cry from Dancing 8 hours a day, but I want to tell you how my college career and past experience helped me land this job.
This job I am referring to is a Social Media Strategist within the Travel/Hospitality industry. My job basically allows me to use Facebook and Twitter all day, blog, travel and work from home sometimes as well. Sound pretty awesome? Let me tell you how I got here. (Don’t worry all, I also perform with a Dance Company in San Diego). Here is the brief bullet point list:
- Graduated from CSULB in 2009
- Could not find work in Long Beach, so I moved home to San Diego
- Worked as a Dance teacher (which I loved) but my hours kept getting cut
- Found a job as a telemarketer that I hated, but I stuck with it and learned what I could.
- The company sold websites to REALTORS®
- I worked my way up and began coaching REALTORS® about online and social advertising.
- I was just tired all the time, doing the same things over and over, teaching the same things over and over. My life felt like it was repeating day after day!
- I didn’t even want to wake up in the morning knowing I had to go and be bored for 8 hours a day!
So, I started searching for jobs online in Social Media, because I had enough experience, and I was just so tired of what I was doing. I found the job posting for the job I currently have on http://www.Monster.com! I sent in my resume, and got a phone call 1 hour later. The lady I spoke to, informed me that they received over 200 applications, and mine stood out because most other applicants had no social media experience, just basic marketing. This was in November 2011. Here are the things that helped me land the most incredible job I have ever had!
- Persistence – The position was posted in November 2011, but I did not get interviewed until February 2012. I stayed on top of them, I knew I wanted this job and so I just kept reminding them every week that I was still here, waiting for an opportunity.
- My Dance Degree- the fact that I majored in something creative was very attractive to them. They needed someone with creativity and spunk for this position. Also, someone very social, and Dance has made me a very open and friendly person.
- My Past Experience – When I got hired, they didn’t even know anything about social media, so the fact that I had worked at the previous job that I hated but that taught me how to teach others, was a big selling point.
- My Energy – I knew I was right for the position, so I made sure I told them that. I was confident in my skills, and knew I would be a great asset to the team.
- My Blog – Yep, my little ‘ole www.NaturalBeautyMark.com blog. I use it to ramble, post reviews, give workout and eating tips, and motivate others! My employer loved what they learned about my personality and writing skills by reading my blog, and that was one of the key factors for them hiring me.
So after months of being persistent, 2 interviews and a phone interview, I finally got the job. I have already traveled to our resorts in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Riviera Nayarit and Cancun Mexico. While in Puerto Vallarta, my boyfriend came also, and proposed to me there, so now we are getting married next year, with our honeymoon (in Riviera Nayarit) being paid for by my employer. I am not saying this to brag, just saying that sometimes life throws you curveballs and you have to know how to catch them and throw them back.
Hopefully this will inspire you whether you are a recent college grad, or stuck in a dead end job. There is no reason you need to be unhappy. And even though my ultimate dream would be to dance all day, I have found something that pays my bills and that I love! I have been in your shoes before, and I know what it feels like to be stuck. Just be persistent and don’t give up, and you will be on your way to making your dreams come true as well!
Stephanie Saum is a Writer, a Social Media Strategist and a Dancer. Her blog, www.NaturalBeautyMark.com, was created in 2011, and is meant to share her own experiences in fitness, wellness and nutrition. Stephanie is also planning her wedding to the love of her life, and they are hoping to eventually become Certified Personal Trainers together.