Honeymoon Recap, Part 1: The Delay

30 Jul

Over the weekend, I uploaded a total of 413 photos to my laptop. So, as you can imagine, unless I show you 413 photos in one blog post (and I promise that I won’t), these recaps will have to be in parts. Since I want to wait until we get our wedding pictures back from the photographer to recap our big day, I’m going to start with our honeymoon. Our honeymoon had to get bad before it got better, but it all worked out in the end. Let me explain…

After the wedding, we spent our first night in our apartment, and the next day at home, packing and shopping for last minute travel items. Since our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:15 am, we decided we’d stay downtown the night before, closer to the airport, and begin our honeymoon in Indianapolis. On Sunday night, my family took Jordan and I downtown to Buca di Beppos, before dropping us and our 100 pounds of luggage (literally) off at our hotel, the J.W. Marriott.

We were in a corner room filled with windows on the 33rd floor. It had a gorgeous view, and unless we can afford to make it an anniversary tradition, it was probably a once in a lifetime experience — we tried our best to take it all in! We couldn’t take it in for too long, though, because a taxi was scheduled to pick us up outside of the lobby at 3:45 a.m., meaning we had a 3:15 a.m. wake-up call! It was a little sad to leave, but we were also excited since our next destination was Maui, Hawaii. Or so we thought.

Our friendly taxi driver picked up our luggage just before 3:45, and we hopped in the car, ready to go. We were sporting our Bride and Groom shirts, ready to enjoy the honeymoon experience.

Since it wasn’t even 4:00 a.m. when we arrived at the airport, we were basically the first couple in line at US Airways, except for one other couple, who seemed to be throwing a fit at the counter. At the time, I didn’t think anything of it, until Jordan scanned our boarding passes…

After scanning his pass, a message came across the screen stating that our flight had been cancelled, and we needed to speak with an attendant about the details. Assuming it was a mistake, as we had just double checked the flight before we went to bed, I scanned my pass, hoping to see a different message. No such luck. That’s when I started eavesdropping on the complaining couple — who, apparently, was on their way to Hawaii for their 25th wedding anniversary. Sure enough, our flight to Phoenix had been cancelled.

At this point, it was 4:15 am, I hadn’t had more than five hours of sleep in days, and after hearing the disappointing news, my adrenaline was wearing off. Thankfully, Jordan is much more patient than I am. He spoke to one of the ladies at the counter, and she handed him a business card, telling him to call the number listed in order to reschedule our flight. The reason she gave us for the cancellation? One of the flight attendants called in sick. We were then sent to wait in a line with a bunch of other angry people. My blood was boiling I was on the verge of tears.

Thank goodness we got to the airport so early, because we were at the front of the line and didn’t have to wait too long before being helped. After finding out that US Airways had nothing else available for that morning, we were sent to American Airlines, who supposedly had an available flight. We waited in line for 45 minutes, found two seats on a flight to Dallas, weighed our bags, and were just about to leave for security when… the attendant notified us that the flight to Dallas was delayed — there was no way that we would make our connecting flight to Maui. At this point, I was ready to scream. We were sent back over to US Airways to figure something else out, where there was a line of about 100 angry people — apparently it was a full flight, and they had to make new arrangements for everyone. 

This was when the tears started rolling. Yep, there I was, in the middle of a semi-crowded airport, tears streaming down my face. I was kind of grateful for my ‘Bride’ shirt at that point, because brides are allowed to be dramatic, right ;)? By the time we got to the front of the line again, we were told that everything was booked for the day, and there was no way we would be going to Hawaii on Monday. After waking up at 3:15 am, leaving our expensive hotel super early, paying for a cab, and realizing that we might have to do it all over again the next day, I had a meltdown — in the middle of the airport. Thank God for Jordan. Sleep deprivation does nothing for the already over-dramatic me.

Jordan talked to the lady at the desk for 15 minutes, trying to work something out. I sat on the floor with a bunch of other people, and cried. By that time, we should’ve been boarding our plane. When Jordan came back with the news, I wasn’t happy. The only available flight was the next day, Tuesday, at 5:15 a.m., and we’d have a longer flight, having to make two connections instead of one. We had to take it — they had a line of angry people to deal with, and there was nothing else that they could do for us.

If you’re still reading, you’re probably thinking that I acted like a brat. And maybe I did — but getting married, leaving a childhood home, moving into a new apartment, and waking up at 3:15 will do crazy things to a person. My emotions were out of control, and all I could do was cry. We had to make the call to our parents, and Jordan’s dad came to pick us up. Back to our apartment we went, where we both slept for a good four hours before finding the motivation to do anything.

When we did wake up, my emotions were more in check, and we decided to make it a fun day — technically, it was still our honeymoon!

Chipotle and ice cream sundaes were eaten, and I made sure to get in a run at the gym for my sanity (and Jordan’s). It was another night with an early bedtime, because Jordan’s dad was picking us up at 3:30 a.m. to go to the airport. This time, we made it onto the plane with no problems — we even got upgraded to first class because of all of the changes! And yes, we did wear the same outfits, because I bought those shirts for a reason, darnit 😉 — one of the airport employees remembered us because of how upset I was the day before – oops!

We had a 12 hour flight ahead of us, but we were finally on our way to Maui.

To be continued…

Has your flight ever been cancelled?

Have you ever cried in a public place?

21 Responses to “Honeymoon Recap, Part 1: The Delay”

  1. notsodomesticated July 30, 2012 at 6:44 am #

    Wow, what a major bummer!! 😦 I would have been so upset, too. I’ve had plenty of issues with flying before, but I can’t imagine them happening on your honeymoon!

    Well I look forward to the next recap, that hopefully contains better news! 😉

  2. Grace @ Eat Sweat Sing July 30, 2012 at 10:00 am #

    My hubby and I went through something very similar on our one year anniversary trip. We booked a cruise and had a flight out of Birmingham, AL with a connection in Atlanta which took us to Jacksonville. Our first flight got delayed by half an hour 3 separate times while we were on the plane out on the runway! We were stuck in those tiny seats for an hour and a half and had already missed our connecting flight in Atlanta. I was so afraid that we were going to miss all the available flights to Jacksonville and then miss our cruise, which is non refundable. So needless to say I was furious and in tears the entire time! Your tears are perfectly justified! Idk what I would have done if that had been our honeymoon! But I’m sure it gets better. 🙂

    • Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 30, 2012 at 11:15 am #

      Oh no, I would’ve been a mess then too! We had that happen to us on the way home, when we were flying coach. Being delayed on the runway is not fun!

  3. savorlifesflavors July 30, 2012 at 10:14 am #

    omg that’s terrible!!! It was completely acceptable to cry in that situation! I would have been an absolute wreck! I really hope the story gets better and has a happy ending!

  4. Bethany @ Accidental Intentions July 30, 2012 at 11:02 am #

    Oh man, what a way to start your honeymoon! I don’t blame you for crying — I think just about anyone would’ve in that situation! Airlines and flying really suck sometimes. Can’t wait to hear more about the trip!!

  5. movingonmyown July 30, 2012 at 11:25 am #

    Nope, crying, that’s exactly what I would have done too. 😉

  6. Dana July 30, 2012 at 11:53 am #

    I have cried at the airport so many times. And I’ve never even had a flight canceled! I’ve just missed many connections or had severe, unpleasant delays while jet-lagged. You’re lucky Jordan was able to get good help. Certain airport employees have been the source of tears for me before as well.

  7. Danica @ It's Progression July 30, 2012 at 11:55 am #

    Ugh, I definitely would have cried too!!! I’m glad you got things figured out alright though, good work Jordan 🙂 I can’t wait to read about Maui and see pictures!
    p.s. I love the bride and groom shirts–super cute.

  8. Laura @ LauraLikesDesign July 30, 2012 at 11:58 am #

    Oh my goodness, I definitely would have cried too! I feel so bad for you guys–I hope the rest of your trip was really great!

  9. Shelby @ thehiketohealthy July 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

    That is definitely NOT what should’ve happened to you right before your honeymoon! Poor thing. But hopefully everything ended up being great 😀 So glad you got upgraded to first class. Oh and I def would’ve cried out of frustration too, you are not alone!

  10. peaceloveandoats July 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm #

    Oh no!!!! You sooooo did not act like a brat! It was your honeymoon, you were exhausted and I would have cried too!!!! I hope things got better! That’s so frustrating!

  11. Brittany July 30, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

    So sorry about your delay girl!! Don’t ever travel with me… my flight is always cancelled, delayed, OR my luggage never comes. I’m so used to it by now!

  12. Brittney @ Brittney Breathing July 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

    Oh my gosh, you poor thing!!!! I hope everything got better for you…can’t wait to read more!

  13. squigglefloey July 31, 2012 at 5:24 am #

    I definitely cried at the airport when we were seeing my Grandparents off back overseas when I was younger 😦 Can’t wait to hear more about your honeymoon!

  14. ragingsofaninsanegirl August 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

    I’m totally reading this late, but I would have cried too! I can’t believe an entire flight can be cancelled because one person called in sick. I would have been like, I’ll be the flight attendant, just get me where I need to go!! I’m glad you finally got to go the next day though!


  1. Honeymoon Recap, Part 7: The Final Days « - August 9, 2012

    […] shows, combined with writing these posts,  is already making me want to go back . Despite the little bumps that we had along the way, it was the perfect […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: